Monday, October 12, 2015

Mushroom and Capsicum in Yogurt Gravy


There are days when I crave for just plain rice and a simple spicy side dish to go with it. That is when I resort to my all-time-favourite Mushroom Pepper Fry. It is a wonderful recipe that creates a perfect balance between spice and flavour that I cannot get enough of it. I simply love that dish.

Having said that, too much spices is not always good for your tummy. So, I fight my urges to prepare that dish every time I buy mushrooms. Yeah, I somehow tend to blindly get into the mode of making the Pepper Fry each time I have stock of Mushrooms :) 


So, here is this other recipe which is higher on the health quotient and milder in flavour yet delicious, which I prepare on days when I crave mushrooms but not too much spice. With the intermittent crunch of capsicums and the tang of the yogurt gravy, this dish proves to be a good companion for simple plain rice. You can also serve it up with Chapati or pulkas.

I love LOVE learning new simple mushroom dishes, if you do have some up your sleeves, do let me know in the comments section below. I would love to try it out in my kitchen and post them here :)





Ingredients
Button Mushrooms - 200 gms (10-12), washed and sliced lenth-wise in a 'T' shape
Onions - 1 big
Capsicum - 1 medium
Green Chilly - 1, finely chopped
Ginger - 1 inch cube, finely minced OR Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
Carrom seeds | Ajwain - 1/2 tsp, crushed
Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 - 3/4 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Curd - 3/4 cup, beaten.
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp

Method

  • Heat oil in a kadai and toss in the crushed carrom seeds. Allow to cook for about a minute on low flame.
  • Toss in the chopped onions, green chillies and ginger paste. Cook till onions turns light brown.
  • Now, add in the Mushroom slices and cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium flame till the mushroom look well cooked.
  • Add chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt and mix well.
  • Reduce the flame and add in the beaten curd and combine everything well.
  • Add in the capsicum and stir. Allow to cook until the curd reduces and thickens, coating the mushrooms well. This would take about 5-6 minutes.
  • Take off the stove and serve with rotis or ghee rice.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Nandita,
    Whenever there is a post from your end, i bookmark it and read it at my leisure. I loved your instant oats dosa. Mushrooms are my favourite too and you have really used them generously in so many gravies and bakes. Addition and curd to the gravy sounds really interesting. It promises great taste and flavours and is worth trying. Thanks for the lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete